New Auto-save feature

For technical questions about the Forum or to report problems using the AbeForum. Suggestions are also welcome here.
admin
Site Admin

New Auto-save feature

Post by admin »

I have added a new "quick draft" feature onto the forum!

What it basically does is, every 10 seconds, it automatically saves your post, only on the device you are using, so if something happens like you accidentally closing the page or you getting logged out or something else, you should not lose your post.

This also means that after it has made an auto-save, you can go out from the post and come back to writing the post later and it will automatically load into the editor (but you have to use the same device).

Disclaimer: It can only auto-save the title and text content of your post, not attachments or polls. A tip is to write all text first, and then if you want to add images, add the images in the end just before submitting your post.

Hope this feature will be helpful :) And as always you can contact me for any suggestions for the forum. :thumbup:
spiritualcookie
Great Britain

Re: New Auto-save feature

Post by spiritualcookie »

Excellent! That sounds useful. Thank you Simon! :thumbup:
Paradise-on-Earth
Germany

Post by Paradise-on-Earth »

Wow, this sounds good! Thank you!!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

There was a problem with the auto-save function not working if you pressed the button to quote a post.
I got to do some coding to get it to work properly but now everything seems to work well and the auto-save function should be dependable now :)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I have now changed the auto-saving feature to a new version. This one saves the drafts to the database of the forum rather than locally on the device you are writing the post on. That means that if you are writing the post on the computer, you should be able to open the same topic on your phone and press "Post Reply" and it should detect you have a saved draft that you then can load in and continue writing on :)

There have been one report lately of a post that got lost - I hope that this new auto-save feature will make that no longer happen. If anyone experience losing their post despite this new auto-saving feature, please send a private message to me (admin) here on the forum. It's much appreciated :)

One important thing to note is that this new one won't automatically load the draft into the edit window. You have to press the "Load draft" button to get the saved draft:
load-draft-button.png
load-draft-button.png (3.24 KiB) Viewed 464 times
Edit: You then have to press the latest one (the top one) in the list that comes up with saved drafts:
load-draft-list.png
load-draft-list.png (4.95 KiB) Viewed 456 times
And then the saved content will be inserted into the edit window.

Other than that it's the same as before that it won't be able to save any attachments or created polls. Just the subject title and the text content of your post.

Please let me know if you experience any problems with it or have any feedback in general by sending a private message to me (admin). Happy posting :wave:
Paradise-on-Earth
Germany

Post by Paradise-on-Earth »

woohoo!! That is great! Thank you so much :dancing:

I wanted to add: You don't just need to push the button "Load draft", but ALSO choose and click the name of the draft above your reply-window. I did not realize that some day ago, and -because I didn't automatically got the draft into the window, after the "load draft" click, I thought it would be gone.

You are awesome, admin!! Thanks a ton!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Paradise-on-Earth wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:23 pmI wanted to add: You don't just need to push the button "Load draft", but ALSO choose and click the name of the draft above your reply-window. I did not realize that some day ago, and -because I didn't automatically got the draft into the window, after the "load draft" click, I thought it would be gone.
Oh yes, that is correct. Thanks for adding that note PoE! :) I updated my post with that information :wave: