Fun Words & Phrases

Relax and enjoy the Lounge. For Off-Topic chit-chat not related to Abraham Hicks teachings.
Paradise-on-Earth
Plus Member
Plus Member
Germany

Re: Fun Words & Phrases

Post by Paradise-on-Earth »

Cookie mentioned that she liked the name of a German recipe: Pfirsiche im Schlafrock, which translates as "peaches (or apples or pears or whatever you want to dress up properly so it's not naked anymore, with dough, jam and maybe nuts, raisins or Marzipan...) in their dressing gown".

I came across more funny names of German food:

This is "Strammer Max", Rhy-sourdough slices of bread with boiled ham, in Bavaria we use Leberkäse (an oven- baked sausage-dough) plus raw onions, radish, pickles and egg, sunny side up... which translates as "tout and strong Max", but could mean "handsome Max or well equipped Max", as well. And you might mean it in an ambiguous way.

Here we have "Arme Ritter" ("poor knights", which where invented in the mideavel times by people who were rich enough that they could afford sometimes wheat-bread or -buns, but not rich enough to have always freshly baked ones or even meat.) It is the very same as French Toast.

Here come "Herrgottsbscheisserle". It means "those, that trick God" (worded not really elegant way, but pretty vulgar)
Monks got gifted with a beautiful piece of roast, but in the middle of Lenten season, so they where not allowed to eat it. Someone had the idea to chop up the meat very very small and mix it with spinach, parsley and breadcrumbs and thought, in this way, God might not notice what that was. Today most of this steamed or cooked pockets (like large Ravioli), filled with all sorts of tasty things get called "Maultaschen", which translates as a vulgar word for mouth and "pocket".

And at least- here is "Tote Oma", dead Granny.... the name became probably, because it looks like it. :roll: But really,it is just a special sausage dough with potatoes, or potato-mash and Sauerkraut...

Ad
spiritualcookie
Great Britain

Post by spiritualcookie »

Paradise-on-Earth wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2024 9:40 pm I came across more funny names of German food:
oh wow! Thank you so much for sharing these! :vortex:

It's so interesting to hear the stories behind dishes' names! It's something I never stopped to consider! I wonder if there's a book on this for well-known English dishes - I'd love to find one! New rocket of desire! :D :rocket-of-desire:

These dishes you posted look so delicious! (well.. maybe apart from the dead granny which I'm sure is delicious even if it doesn't look so appealing... :lol: ) I already know I love Arme Ritter! I really want to try Maultaschen - By the sound of what's in it, it sounds like something I'll like :)
Paradise-on-Earth
Plus Member
Plus Member
Germany

spiritualcookie wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2024 10:38 pm
oh wow! Thank you so much for sharing these! :vortex:

It's so interesting to hear the stories behind dishes' names! It's something I never stopped to consider! I wonder if there's a book on this for well-known English dishes - I'd love to find one! New rocket of desire! :D :rocket-of-desire:
:lol: :hearts: I ran a quick google search and found this...

10 British foods with strange names:
Toad in the hole. ...
Bubble and squeak. ...
Spotted dick. ...
Welsh rarebit/rabbit. ...
Cullen skink. ...
Stargazey pie. ...
Singing hinnies. ...
Angels on horseback.

from the article "10 British foods with strange names", The Telegraph :lol: They all look delicious! :vortex-small: I especially love the "Spotted Dick" :lol:
These dishes you posted look so delicious! (well.. maybe apart from the dead granny which I'm sure is delicious even if it doesn't look so appealing... :lol: )
:lol: :lol: So true... in the end, it is a meal made from a sausage with blood. We have several different variations of it, the most famous is "Himmel and Ääd" ("Heaven and Earth", because of the apples in it from growing in the sky, and the potatoes growing in the earth. And this looks much better, as the sausage stays together :roll:
I already know I love Arme Ritter! I really want to try Maultaschen - By the sound of what's in it, it sounds like something I'll like :)
Maultaschen are THE national food for the region of Baden-Württemberg, besides Bavaria (around the city of Stuttgart, famous for the Mercedes and Porsche-cars, that get produced there). You get them with ALL sorts of fillings, with or without meat, with veggies, with cheese, fried and served in butter with a salad, or within a soup, or baked as casserole with again all kinds of gravy as tomato or cream...

:vortex: :dancing: :kiss: Have a wonderful day, dear friend!!
spiritualcookie
Great Britain

Paradise-on-Earth wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2024 6:03 am :lol: :hearts: I ran a quick google search and found this...

10 British foods with strange names:
Toad in the hole. ...
Bubble and squeak. ...
Spotted dick. ...
Welsh rarebit/rabbit. ...
Cullen skink. ...
Stargazey pie. ...
Singing hinnies. ...
Angels on horseback.
That's a good idea! I'll look online :hearts:
Maultaschen are THE national food for the region of Baden-Württemberg, besides Bavaria (around the city of Stuttgart, famous for the Mercedes and Porsche-cars, that get produced there). You get them with ALL sorts of fillings, with or without meat, with veggies, with cheese, fried and served in butter with a salad, or within a soup, or baked as casserole with again all kinds of gravy as tomato or cream...
This makes me want to visit this area! :lol: :hearts:
:vortex: :dancing: :kiss: Have a wonderful day, dear friend!!
You too! :in_love: :hugs:
Paradise-on-Earth
Plus Member
Plus Member
Germany

:hearts: :hearts: :wave:
By the way, I couldn't hold back to prepare the "Spotted Dick" ad hoc :lol: :lol: (Now it in it's water-bath...)

spiritualcookie wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2024 7:38 am
Stargazey pie. ...

:shock: :wtf:
Paradise-on-Earth
Plus Member
Plus Member
Germany

spiritualcookie wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2024 7:38 am
This makes me want to visit this area! :lol: :hearts:
:in_love: come, come!! It's my familie's stomping ground! :hearts:
Ad
spiritualcookie
Great Britain

Paradise-on-Earth wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2024 12:34 pmI couldn't hold back to prepare the "Spotted Dick" ad hoc :lol: :lol: (Now it in it's water-bath...)
super-chef Elke strikes again! :superhero: :lol:

Stargazey pie. ...

:shock: :wtf:
:lol: yes.... I've only heard of this but (thankfully :lol: ) have never seen it in the flesh!
Paradise-on-Earth wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2024 12:35 pm :in_love: come, come!! It's my familie's stomping ground! :hearts:
:in_love:
Paradise-on-Earth
Plus Member
Plus Member
Germany

spiritualcookie wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2024 3:02 pm
Paradise-on-Earth wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2024 12:34 pmI couldn't hold back to prepare the "Spotted Dick" ad hoc :lol: :lol: (Now it in it's water-bath...)
super-chef Elke strikes again! :superhero: :lol:

:lol: :hearts:

...When the recipe is great, it doesn't need a super-chef... It worked out AMAZINGLY well!! Even the recipe is completely without eggs, this turned out to be the most delicious "cake" I ever prepared. SUPERYUMMIE!!! Also, I had never coupled vanille custard with a slice of cake, but the recipe said when you don't do it, the British Christmas-elves will search and find you, and who knows what happens then... :o :lol:

So, we better added the custard and it was a blessing from beginning to end. (As you see in the pics, DH doesn't want to let go of the spotted dick, I had to fight for my share...) And without this thread, it wouldn't have happened! :ta: :kiss: :lol: :lol: I reallly like inspiration!

Paradise-on-Earth
Plus Member
Plus Member
Germany

spiritualcookie wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2024 3:02 pm
:lol: yes.... I've only heard of this but (thankfully :lol: ) have never seen it in the flesh!
:lol: :lol: :lol: oh my!! At least, we laughed! :hearts: :in_love:
spiritualcookie
Great Britain

Paradise-on-Earth wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2024 6:44 am ...When the recipe is great, it doesn't need a super-chef... It worked out AMAZINGLY well!! Even the recipe is completely without eggs, this turned out to be the most delicious "cake" I ever prepared. SUPERYUMMIE!!! Also, I had never coupled vanille custard with a slice of cake, but the recipe said when you don't do it, the British Christmas-elves will search and find you, and who knows what happens then... :o :lol:
:lol: I'm so happy you both enjoyed it so much! I feel like it's worth trying new things always! You never know when something will turn out to be particularly surprisingly good! :hearts:
x
Please disable Adblocker to support us